Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Recipe for Disaster

I have been really busy during these last couple weeks of school! In order to stay creative, I have needed to multitask. A lot of my creativity and energy is going into group projects and essays at school. Despite school stress I still have other obligations that I need to fulfill...

Yesterday I needed to bake and frost 60+ cupcakes in between classes for a little mother-daughter party at church that evening. I woke up early. (only getting 3 hours of sleep) Being in a major time crunch, it was really silly for me to want to try a new recipe for frosting that I have never tried before. But I didn't wan't to just make plain old cupcakes. For the first two dozen I made chocolate cupcakes with a Reese's cup in the center, topped with purple buttercream frosting! Since I had made them before they turned out just fine. ...I decided to be creative in the limited amount of time I had. I decided to create multicolored cupcakes with a jello mix whipped frosting for the next 4 dozen.... (Here is where the disaster part came in.) I was rushing. The colored cupcakes turned out just as I had expected. But the jello frosting is something that I just wasted my time on. I followed the recipe, minus using a stand mixer, and it just wouldn't thicken. It was like Jello soup... At that point I didn't have time to fool around with it, but I still did.
Finally I just gave up. I added more water and decided that maybe it might just turn to jello so i could eat it later and wouldn't have to dump it.
I had no choice, I had to rush and buy frosting on my way to the party and frost them at the church... and they looked so ugly. Even though the event was a success and no one complained about the cupcakes, I felt defeated.

Baking for me is a way to express my creativity. I love trying new recipes. And I take pride in creating beautiful looking and yummy tasting deserts. Next time I am rushed to make something I won't get fancy. I stressed myself out beyond imaginable to the point my body ached.... Sharing this moment makes me feel sort of pathetic.

Today I planned to share with you all a lovely new Jello Mix Frosting recipe I found and then share pictures of my cupcake creations. But instead I created a new recipe....

Recipe For Disaster

1 Cup- Something New
1/2 Cup- Lack of Sleep
1/2 Cup - Limited Time
2 Hand-fulls - Outside Stress
1 Heaping Tablespoon - Perfectionism

For best results: Do not mix them together...

-Ashley-



No comments:

Post a Comment