Monday, March 25, 2013

What’s Knott to like!?


Last weekend David and I took a day to ourselves. It had literally been years since I had been to Knott’s Berry Farm, and it had literally been decades since he had been! The night before, I was nervous with anticipation and excitement. The sad part was though, that I was most excited because I would get to eat the famous fried chicken dinner with biscuits and boysenberry jelly! Yum! Don’t worry; we went on lots of rides too. He forced me to go on all the major roller coasters, and I survived them.

Anyways, it was a great trip and when I got home and was reminiscing about the biscuits to my mom, she shocked me when she told me she had a Knott’s Berry Farm cook book that she had never even used before. And guess what…? The famous biscuit recipe was in there!!!

They were so easy to make, and soooo delicious!! My dad and I ate half of them just as they were getting out of the oven. So on this lovely Monday morning, I would like to share with you my beloved Knott’s berry Biscuit Recipe. You won’t be disappointed!
All you need:

1 ¾ cups flour

1 tablespoon+ 2 teaspoons baking powder

1 tablespoon solid shortening (chilled0

1/8 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup buttermilk

½ cup vegetable or cottonseed oil

9x9 baking dish

**Rubio’s salsa to go container or something similar



Directions:

With an electric mixer, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening. On the lowest speed, very carefully mix it until it had the consistency of a coarse meal. Combine baking soda and 1/3 cup buttermilk in a separate bowl and beat it with a spoon until it becomes foamy. Add remaining buttermilk, blend, and then add to flour and beat until well blended. Do not over blend. The mixture will be VERY sticky.



Take the dough, and turn onto a well-floured board, and sprinkle the top of dough with flour. Fold over the dough and pat it out till its approx ½ inch thick. (You can also gently use a rolling pin if you desire to do this part, but I personally didn’t find it necessary.)

Next, using a heavy glass or metal baking dish, (Approx 9x9) pour a little less than ½ cup of oil to coat the bottom of the dish. Cut the biscuits using a 2.5 round cookie cutter, or drinking glass. (I found that a Rubio’s salsa to go container worked perfectly to cut out my biscuits.) Make sure that the biscuit looks pretty because it will bake exactly as it looks. Coat each biscuit in oil and place them in the dish until finished. Biscuits should be touching each other. Bake in preheated 500 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Makes approximately 16 small biscuits.



Take them out of the oven and slide them out of the pan on a plate to cool. Eat with butter, jelly, honey, or whatever floats your boat! They are best when they are hot.

Enjoy!
xoxo
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment