Monday, May 6, 2013

Scrap Paper Collages

Something I’ve always loved… making collages. Growing up, I was not part of a crafty family. We had crayons, colored pencils, and Elmer’s glue. That was it. When I would go to various places I would collect things I could craft with; like the confetti on tables at parties. Sad… right? My family knew I liked things like that, so they would take it upon themselves to gather things too. When I tried to do my first collage I used my Elmer’s glue and it turned out disastrously!! I remember begging my mom to please get me a glue stick so that my projects wouldn’t wrinkle Well I have come a long, Long way since then.
I don’t even know why, but it is so relaxing to me to just put on a movie (either Harry Potter or Gone with the Wind) and sit there with my collage box crafting. If you are a typical hoarder, oops! I mean crafty collector! Then you probably hate throwing away scraps of paper that could possibly, someday… well maybe someday be used on another little something. Especially if I love the paper, then I REALLY hate throwing stuff away. Well, I have a box of ALL those scraps of papers, photos that never found a project, half used sheets of stickers, and all the other goodies that speak to me.
When I get in the mood, I just like to get it out and go wild. I use whatever I want and since I love it all, it always has a way of coming together. I collaged my college planner earlier this year and when it was complete I fell in love with it. It was so ugly before, and after it was transformed I enjoyed it every time I pulled it out of my backpack to scribble down schedules and assignments.
Last week we talked about quotes, and another favorite quote of mine, told to me by my cousin is, “Its only ghetto if you can tell.” With that being said, it’s a little ghetto, but packing tape makes the BEST laminate!! I went ahead and laminated the front of my planner with packing tape and it’s the best thing I could have done. It sealed it perfectly and prevents it from getting dirty. And it only took a few minutes. The art of packing taping can be a little tricky because you have to make sure your lines are even, matching, and don’t get any creases in it. But after a few practice runs, you’ll find it’s really not that hard.


So if you’re looking for a great way to use, and recycle all those scraps, why not start your very own collage box? You might be surprised at the artwork you can create.


Have a great week!
xoxo Mandy



No comments:

Post a Comment