Friday, August 16, 2013

Quilting Update

When you decide to make a quilt, it is fun to pick a pattern, plan the sizing, choose a color scheme and shop for fabrics.  For my quilt, I bought fabrics from a few cities in two different states, making quilt shops a bonus feature of my summer travels.  Once you get down to cutting and sewing, though, and you have vowed to make a king-size quilt - probably a bad idea in retrospect - all the fun is gone.

Blisters come from cutting/piling/ironing/more cutting.  The hours of repetitive stitching/ironing/stitching of the squares slowly makes me feel like I am in an asylum and have been given a repetitive task to pass the time.  Moral of the story: quilting is hard!

Needless to say, I am struggling to keep working at it.  I need to find my rhythm so that I can enjoy it instead of looking at it like a chore, as I am doing now.  Here is my quilt progress so far:



(Yes, this is literally all I have finished.)

I am really happy with the way it is coming out.  It is not all perfectly aligned, which gives it the definite hand-made feel, but in a way that I think still looks good.  I am a perfectionist, so I wouldn't be happy with it if it were too messy.

Actually, venting about the issues here has been really therapeutic for me... I can't wait to get home from work and spend some quality time with my sewing machine this weekend!

xo Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment